We have long been aware of the negative effects of tobacco use on the teeth, from decay and cavities to gum disease and even oral cancer. As many individuals have successfully quit smoking by switching to vaping, experts are investigating the long-term health impacts of these relatively new devices. Here’s what we know so far about whether vaping has an effect on your dental health.
Vaping vs. Smoking
Vaping and health has been a hot topic in recent years as former smokers are able to quash nicotine
cravings while avoiding the tobacco, tar and other harmful additives in cigarettes. Some of the benefits of vaping over smoking traditional cigarettes include:
• Exposure to fewer toxic, cancer-causing chemicals than the thousands found in cigarettes
• Completely smokeless and free of harmful tobacco
• Ability to control your amount of nicotine intake
• Lower cost over time
• Lower risk of fire injury and property damage compared with smoking
A study published by Public Health England indicates that e-cigarettes are about 95% safer than tobacco cigarettes. The report also notes that vaping can effectively help smokers quit.
Although clinical studies about vaping and teeth are limited so far, scientists have noted that vaping
carries fewer oral health risks than the dental risks associated with cigarettes. A 2016 pilot study
published in the journal Medicine followed 350 smokers who switched to vaping and found that the switch had a positive impact on tooth and gum health for those in the study group. Participants
experienced less frequent gum bleeding and reduced levels of bacteria on tooth surfaces.
While more research is needed, some of the findings thus far include:
• Sweet e-liquid flavors increase bacterial adhesion to tooth enamel, according to a 2018 peer-
reviewed study published in the Public Library of Science journal (PLoS).
• Gum inflammation may result from e-cigarette use according to a 2016 study published by the
• Dry cough and throat irritation may occur after vaping according to a 2014 review published in the
journal Tobacco Control.
Preventing Tooth and Gum Issues
Maintaining good dental hygiene habits can limit your risk of potential tooth problems associated with vaping.
Start with these tips:
• Brush and floss teeth at least twice a day, preferably after every meal. Rinse with water or mouthwash after using your vape.
• Visit your dentist regularly for a check-up and cleaning, every six months or as recommended. He or she can detect and treat signs of oral health issues to ward off complications.
• Use low-nicotine e-liquid. Most brands offer a few different nicotine levels so that former smokers
can customize based on their needs. Limiting your nicotine use can prevent related issues such as
teeth grinding, stains, discoloration, periodontitis, and receding gums. Avoid going too low,
however, since a lack of nicotine could lead you to return to cigarettes.
• If you are concerned about cavities, avoid dessert-flavored e-liquids. The same goes for menthol
flavoring, which can damage healthy cells in the mouth.
• Choose e-liquids from a reputable company and check the ingredients to avoid unnecessary
additives. Most vape liquids consist of nicotine, either propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin and
See your dentist right away if you notice signs of oral health issues. These symptoms may include
chronic dry mouth, receding gums, toothaches or gum pain, increased sensitivity, numbness, bleeding or swollen gums, loose teeth, and sores or ulcers in the mouth.
The team at VaporFi AU will be happy to answer your questions about vaping health, especially if you are a tobacco smoker who is thinking about making the switch to a vape. Browse our extensive catalog of products and contact us online for more information about getting started with a vape.
Comments on Facebook
Search our Blog
- Advanced Vaping & Mods
- Blend of the Month
- Celebrity Vapers
- Cloud Chasers
- E-Cigarette Vaporizers
- E-Liquid & Custom Blends
- Glossary #s
- Glossary A
- Glossary B
- Glossary C
- Glossary D
- Glossary E
- Glossary F
- Glossary G
- Glossary H
- Glossary K
- Glossary P
- Glossary R
- Glossary S
- Glossary T
- Glossary U
- Glossary V
- Glossary W
- Health & Safety
- Industry News & Headlines
- Juice of the Month
- Monthly Contest Winner
- Product Review
- Team VaporFi MMA
- Vape Accessories
- Vape Gifts
- Vape Juice
- Vaping Laws & Restrictions
- Vaping Tips & Tricks
- VaporFi Locations
- VaporZone Locations